Enrichment is Essential!
Enrichment is a critical part of your pup’s mental well-being, physical health and overall happiness. Without enrichment, your dog may become incredibly bored or destructive – especially in the winter months when they may not want to spend much time outside! Some great enrichment games are listed below!
- Burrito Blanket: Lay a blanket down, scatter yummy treats all over it and roll it up into a burrito! Let your pup sniff the blanket like crazy and unroll it with his nose or paws so that he can get the treats!
- Three cups: Get 3 plastic cups, place a treat under one of them while your pup is watching and ask him to “find” it! You can make this more challenging by mixing the cups around after you place the treat!
- Treat in a Bottle: Take an empty, plastic water bottle and fill it with delicious treats. Remove the lid and place it on the floor in front of your pup. Watch him move it around in order to release all his favorite treats.
- Shredded Lettuce: If your dog likes to shred, let him! Buy a head of cabbage or iceberg lettuce, scatter some kibble inside the leaves and let him tear it apart. He will feel so accomplished after “making” you a salad.
- A SNIFF-ari: Go to your dog’s favorite park, put him on a long lead and let him sniff around freely. If there’s a leaf pile or patch of grass that he really likes, scatter treats across it so he can sniff them out.