Get Your Pup Certified as a Canine Good Citizen at PUPS Pet Club!
The Canine Good Citizen Test (CGC) and program focuses on making sure your pup is a well-adjusted and socialized member of the family and will behave appropriately in public settings.
It focuses on basic obedience skills and ensures they can be used in real life situations, like walking past another dog or walking through a crowded space without jumping or pulling.
Working with a PUPS trainer is the best way to prepare for the test, which consists of 10 skills:
- Greeting a friendly stranger
- Sitting politely for petting
- Welcoming being groomed and brushed; allowing paws and ears to be handled
- Walking as directed on a loose leash
- Moving politely through a crowd
- Sitting, lying down, and staying in place on command
- Coming when called
- Behaving politely around other dogs
- Reacting with confidence to distractions
- Being okay when left with a trusted person
The CGC title is also a prerequisite for many therapy dog certifications, as well as a great introduction to more advanced dog sports and activities.
Some homeowners’ insurance programs even offer discounts for CGC dogs, and an increasing number of apartments and condos see CGC awards as a major bonus for becoming a resident.