Break up Your Dog’s Day! Why Walking is so Important
One of the major benefits of being a dog parent is that you never have to walk alone. When your dog sees you head toward the door and hears you get his leash, he will come running. Dogs love to be out-of-doors and love to be by your side.
Here are five reasons why walking your pup is so important. So, if you’re headed back to the office or your pandemic work-from-home hours are changing, PUPS Pet Club can help break up your dog’s day!
- Health benefits. An active dog is a healthy dog. Walking your dog two or three times a day can help stave off health issues and disease. Dogs require more than a trip out of doors to “do their business” during the day. Your dog wants to sniff the ground, mark his/her territory, feel the wind on his/her face and the grass beneath his/her feet.
- Anxiety and stress relief. Not all breeds require the same amount of exercise daily. If your dog is “acting out” and chewing your favorite shoes, the couch or barking while you’re away, he/she may need more activity. Take your dog on a long walk before you leave for work. If your dog requires more physical activity during the day, PUPS is here to help and talk him/her for a mid-day walk. There are truly no “bad” dogs, just dogs who need more activity to stave off boredom.
- They love it. Even if you are shivering on a blustery day, chances are your dog is still loving being outside. Sure, your dog may love lying on the couch or in his/her crate, but guaranteed he/she perks up when they know they’re going out. Dogs need fresh air and a leashed walk is a great treat.
- Socialization is important. When your dog is walking, you are providing much-needed socialization. Meeting other dogs and running, jumping and playing teaches your dog how to interact with others. A well-socialized dog is a happier, friendlier family member.
- Bonding time. When you’re walking your dog, the two of you can share the glory of the day. You can stop and marvel at a dragonfly on a plant, you can slow down while your dog sniffs every blade of grass. On a walk, it’s just the two of you and no inside distractions. And after a long, stressful day at work having a companion to share a few quiet moments is a true gift!